Hi Joe.

Yes, I am also awaiting this firmware update. I have not yet got my K3, but
my hopes are that it will be ready soon. Right now I am also using the
IC-756pro3, microphone are the TSM MT-57 dynamic, and I use the W2IHY
equalizer into the rear ACC connector. I have also ordered a better
microphone, the AV Leader STM-11 :
http://www.avleader.com.tw/product_Studio%20Microphones.htm
This one has a very flat frequency response and needs an equalizer to sound
good.
This one also needs +48V phantom power, I have the small LEEM PHW-22 phantom
power supply.
This one is cheap, and it has selectable +48V or +12V.

This is what amateur radio is all about for some of us, not just getting a
message thrue but making it sound as good as possible.

Best regards
LA4AMA
Roar