From: G4ILO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 5:45:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K3]More on changing band/mode and filters don't

hank k8dd-3 wrote:

> More information:
> I just downloaded DX4WIN demo.  It does the same thing -
> K3 on 14.025, CW, 700 Hz.
> Click on a spot for 28280.  Radio goes to 28280, Mode
> changes to SSB, but filter stays at 700 Hz.

Exactly the same thing happens using MixW.

Doing some investigation with the command tester in the Firmware Utility, I
think there is a bug in the K3 firmware. It is not changing the filter
bandwidth if a band change is made by CAT command and this results in a mode
change because the mode last used on the new band is different from the mode
you were previously using.

If you are on 14.025 CW, and you change frequency to 28280 by sending the
command FA00028280000; the K3 changes to that 10m frequency. The mode used
on 10m is the mode that was used the last time you were on 10m, but the
filter bandwidth remains the same as it was on 14MHz. So if you were last on
10m using SSB, you will end up in SSB with a CW filter bandwidth. If you
were last on CW, you will be in CW mode on 10m. This explains why you
observe that the filter sometimes changes, and sometimes doesn't. If you
were last on 10m in CW, if the software sends a mode change command after
the frequency change command, the K3 will go to 10m CW and then change to
SSB which will cause the filter bandwidth to change correctly. If the K3 was
last in SSB on 10m, then it will change to 10m SSB and the narrow bandwidth
become wrongly set as the new SSB filter bandwidth. The subsequent mode
change command won't do anything.

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com