Pete, Brian and all,

The BL2 *is* a current choke 'balun' - both in the 4:1 and the 1:1 configuration.

73,
Don W3FPR

Peter Connors, F5VNB wrote:
Brian

Try a current choke 'balun' instead of the BL2.
As a temporary antenna I have 25m of twin speaker wire run out from the shack under the roof tiles - that's about 7m - and then the remaining 18m split as a doublet. It hangs at an average height of 5m from a couple of trees. The 'feeder' end connects through a current choke on a short piece of RG58 to the KAT3 in my K3. The KAT100 has the same matching range as the KAT3 and I assume the LC values are the similar.