> This is not correct. There is nothing wrong with connecting an
> unbalanced mic to a balanced input -- you simply unbalance the
> input by grounding one side of the input. You lose the benefit of
> the balanced circuitry's ability to reject noise, but the input
> will work fine. The correct wiring is simply hot to one side,
> shield to the other side AND the chassis.

That is *NOT* what is happening ... the mic connection does not
simply "unbalance" the mic input because one side of the preamp
is still not grounded.  What is happening is that the mic is
connected to the preamp in a balanced configuration but the
shield is left floating on the mic end and tied to the mic
return at the transmitter input.  The mic return is then tied
back to the chassis through an RF choke (DC return).

What happens is that you now have a shield (unbalanced for RF
pickup) over top of the twisted pair (nicely balanced) mic
leads.  Worse, the RF choke from  mic return to ground makes
it almost certain that any RF on the mic shield will be forced
through the preamp instead of being bypassed harmlessly to the
chassis/ground.

It would be better if the mic return (and shield) was connected
directly to the chassis at the mic connector than the present
situation ... but not as good as if the shield were connected
to the chassis (usually PTT ground) and the mic treated as a
floating/balanced input.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV