Windy,

The amount of audio reduction depends on how much noise reduction you have cranked into the K3. It is not fixed in the latest firmware, but the situation has been identified. The method used to correct it has not yet been settled, but it will be corrected - perhaps by allowing the user to set the amount of gain increase when NR is active. I find the K3 NR is quite effective, but the audio level change is disconcerting. This is not a problem when the NR is used on CW, it is a SSB/AM problem only.

73,
Don W3FPR

KM5Q wrote:
I see it the same as Dave. However, I've about given up on using NR. Strange thing! When I installed Firmware 1.99, it seemed to have improved! Audio level was equalized between NR on/off. And, it seemed less distorted. Then over the next few weeks, it gradually went back to (apparently) more distortion and definitely much less volume.

Does newest firmware improve it?

Windy KM5Q
K3 #764

Yes, I'd hope for further improvement of the NR on phone.  Even if
it's not too effective I still nearly always have it on, but the radio
powers up with it off and blasts me with the increased audio.  It
seems like it would be nice if it powered up with the NR in the same
state it was before.  Is this a problem for anyone else?

Dave  W5DHM