I am in no great hurry to do any mods, since the lack of them is not making any noticeable difference to my K3. My concern is that when trying to use the desoldering braid, enough solder will remain to keep the part in place, and one will end up doing it too many times and eventually lifting a trace.
One list member already reported doing that.

I don't have any scrap boards with SMD components to experiment on, but since all that is needed is to remove a couple of parts, I planned to try
this:

Instead of "trying" things, why not use the tools that professionals use? It just isn't that hard nor is it all that expensive. My temperature-controlled hot-air gun just wasn't all that expensive.

Using a bit of stiff copper wire, wind a tight coil of 2 or 3 turns so that it is a tight fit on the end of the soldering iron bit, and turn the ends of the coil so that I end up with a bit with two prongs extending forward of it
for a few mm, spaced apart by the width of the SMD part.

When the iron is heated up, it will heat the copper wire extension as well. I will then apply the bit so that the wire prongs are either side of the part to be removed. The idea is that the solder will be melted on both sides of the SMD part simultaneously and the part can immediately be moved. If
necessary, the solder wick can then be used to clean up the area.

Does anyone think this would work?

It might, and it might damage the board. I guarantee the hot-air gun will work better and be less prone to damage.

And temperature control is important. Using a 500C hot-air gun is going to burn up your board. I can set the air temp on mine to 250C to melt the solder without frying the board.

Look at it this way too: if you are building things you are going to start using SMT. So get the right tool before you ruin something.

--

73 de Brian, WB6RQN
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com