Andy and all,

While there are several exotic tools and materials available for doing
SMD work, I would prefer to speak to those who might only do it on
occasion - maybe a single project that does not require such things as
soldering paste and heat guns.

About the best reference I know of for working with SMD in the ham shack
is contained in the instructions from Tom Hammond for the SMD version of
the K6XX CW tuning indicator.  You may download that pdf file from Tom's
website www.n0ss.net.

A short version of the technique is to use small diameter solder (too
much solder will cause a real mess).
Just apply a small amount of solder to one pad (a corner pad for an IC)
- then position the component and heat that pre-soldered pad (this step
will stick the component in place).  Now solder the other lead(s) and go
back to the first one if there is any doubt about its integrity.   Mop
up any excess solder with solder wick and you are done.  Steady hands
are also helpful, but if one has learned how to support and work with
unsteady hands, it can even be done by those folks.  I would say that
everyone needs to experiment a bit before tackling something important
and of value.  There are small inexpensive projects (Softrock for one)
which serve that purpose.  Another low or no-cost practice item is a
scrap computer card or board - that can give you experience in removing
components and putting them back on.

So if you already have small diameter solder and a temperature
controlled iron, you only need some solder wick and some device to pick
up and hold those tiny components.  One big hint that I can offer - do
*not* attempt to use curved nose tweezers, one cannot control the
squeezing force and they are guaranteed to launch the small components
and make them 'vacuum cleaner fodder'.  I use straight tweezers with
tips that taper to a point with good success, YMMV.  A tube of solder
flux comes in handy at times when the solder just won't flow right, and
a magnifying device of your choosing is almost mandatory - even if you
don't need it for soldering, you will need it for close inspection.

There are several sources of information on the web about using solder
paste, toaster ovens, heat guns, etc.  If you are going to be doing
quite a few boards and don't mind the expense of these tools go for it,
but SMD work *can* be done easily with the tools many builders already
have available.

73,
Don W3FPR