Yes, one thing is not to make radis so "smart" and second one is how much cost all around which can be destroyed by some stupid mistake.

Such option - locking band - is not critical one but can help also in transverter mode, when only selected transverter band will be "permitted". In case when transverter is driven by standard ANT port with let say 0,2W max out, switching to some standrd HF band with standard output power (12W max resp. 100W max) and short attempt to TX can destroy TX line in transverter I suppose. (Not tested - yet - :))

There is no way how to rely on PC control if BAND up/down button is still active and human being is operating station... Especially inmultioperator enviroment with different operators and skills.

73!
Lexa, ok1dst

Brian Alsop napsal(a):
In my opinion you don't want to burden the radio with this.

The preferred way is to use any contesting program for logging and set it up to be a single band operation.

Trying to make the radio so "smart" that it compensates for operator error is inappropriate. The op makes a mistake, tough. Perhaps he will learn from it and move on.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Kenneth Waites wrote:

I am afraid this will lead us to need a reminder function to alert the operator to possibly lock bands. This will only sound when the date coincides with a contest. Then we will need another facility to select only the contests we need to be reminded of so we can possibly lock the band change. Then we will need a reminder for where we left the manual since we will have forgotten how to do it.

I thought of another feature to help fix the stupid user issue.  How
about a lock that doesn't allow a band change.  Such as a special way to
use the lock button that doesn't lock one out from QSYing but doesn't
allow them to move off of say 40 meters.  We had a death to a band pass
filter cause some one turned their equipment over to a new ham on
another one of the stations and a feature that locks from going to
another band could have prevented that.  Also would be useful for when
you don't have the tuner nor an external and your antenna is only good
on one band.