> > Still, the FM filer response SHOULD be down some 70 or 80 dB
> > +/- 30 KHz from the center.  That would be more than enough for
>
> Although probably still well down the skirts, you have to
> subtract the maximum modulating frequency from this.

The difference between +/- 30 KHz and +/-26 or 27 KHz is probably
not enough to notice.  The FM filter should still have a shape
factor no worse that 2 ... a realistic 8-pole filter should be
in the 1.6 to 1.8 range at that bandwidth.

> > filter, even if the K3 were driving a 1500 W PEP amplifier the
> > transmitted image would be less than .0005 milliwatts of carrier!
>
> There is also any unbalanced first local oscillator at 15kHz offset.
> Again, it may be far enough down the skirts not to be too much of a
> problem.  (However the suppression requirements are much
> higher than for an SSB carrier.)

Unbalance would effect all modes - even with a narrow filter.  I
have not checked but would expected the circuit to use a balanced
mixer specifically to maintain a wider spurious free passband.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV