This was my first year ever participating in Field Day as a club member and
operating a K3. What a great event and what a great radio.

The K3 performed flawlessly, I especially liked the DSP shift and width
capability, and the NR ability to reduce noise to hear weaker signals. Loved
the versatility of the K3 and its ability to adapt to the preferences of all
our club operators. At all times our K3 had three paddles including a bug, a
WinKey and at least two sets of headphones  connected. During the daytime the
external speaker and a portable speaker were going for the public. Great to see
the shift change and a new set of operators get right into the action without
having to change any of the setup.

My two cents on Field Day:

Even though the intent may be to help prepare for emergency operations and
showcase amateur radio to the public you have to provide something for everone
in order to get the most participation by club members.

Our club provided breakfast, lunch, dinner and plenty of snacks and water and
all the coffee one could ever drink for all it's members. A tent between our
two operating locations was set up with food and plenty of tables and chairs
for folks to socialize and enjoy each other. We has two SSB stations, a CW
station, a digital station, a VHF/UHF station, a GOTA station and a MARS
station going. County and State officials were invited, a few actually showed
up. One member lead visitors on tours throughout the day and provided
educational events. Other members took care of logistics during the day, such
as getting rid of accumulating trash and keeping an eye on the general well
being of people in 96+ degree weather. Our public information booth was setup
to greet visitors and  ready to sign-up and welcome new members into the club
as well. We had unlicensed folks behind microphones for hours, had an
unlicensed teenager stay up all night logging for our CW ops.

Our CW operations were close to 800 feet away from our other setups to help
with antenna separation but only 50 feet or so from where the public parked
their vehicles. Had lots of time between my CW shifts to visit and get to know
other members and watch them participating in their favorite modes.

Don't forget the few who volunteer as your club Field Day Committee to make the
event happen. They give many hours of their precious time behind the scenes to
plan, set-up, take-down, clean-up after the event when others are long gone,
all for the benefit of the members, guests and public.

Sorry to say this was my first Field Day and not my 34th. Doubt I would have
been there if not for the club and those members interested in contesting.
Doubt I'll be there next year unless there is an interest in helping the club
and members who are interested in contesting.

Karl NM7N