BillC wrote:

> Long story short: I was licensed in '87 at 14, I operated day and night CW
> on an IC-761 for about 3 years got burned out and then joined the service,
> got married had kids and now 18 years later about to order a new HF and
> throw up an antenna. Well, alot has changed in the past 20 years, we now
> have internet and the majority of the new radios seem to be menu driven
> rigs with dsp. Now after sifting through just about everything I could
> find on newer radios I've been looking at the K3 and the Icom-756ProIII.
> They both seem to be very capable radios according to the reviews I have
> read, but I think I have narrowed my choice down to a K3. My problem is
> that Im not sure which filters I should add to my order for a primarily CW
> use radio. Also how much of this radio is software dependant (assuming
> alot) and what kind of updates could I expect to be of benefit to the K3?
> Also someone give me a scenario of where the KR3X would come in use, from
> what I read it's basically a 2nd receiver? And one more before Im done,
> Auto tuner 20 years ago didn't seem to work very good on the 761, so I
> used an MFJ tuner, have the auto's gotten any better? Sorry for some dumb
> questions:confused: but im trying to figure this stuff out! Thanks =^D

Filters. I think you'll get quite a few different opinions on this. Bear in
mind the K3 has DSP filtering which is pretty good. A lot will depend on the
filter bandwidths you personally like to use. I like to tune around with the
bandwidth set to 1KHz. But you don't need brick-wall skirts for such a
tuning-around bandwidth, so I think the DSP filtering is fine for that.
There is no need for a 1KHz roofing filter. Some may disagree. I think a
500Hz 5-pole (or 400Hz 8-pole if you're willing to spend the extra) is
probably all you need at this stage. If you think you need the extra help to
winkle out weak ones next to strong signals you can always add a narrower
filter later.

Updates. Yes, the K3 is highly software dependent. UPdates provide things
like improved NR. Just browse the firmware release notes to find the changes
we've had so far.

Second receiver. I haven't gone for that. BUt if you are really into
competitive DXing you may find it useful to listen on the DX frequency and
the calling frequency at the same time. If you're into contests you may find
it useful to be able to monitor two frequencies at once.

ATU. The Elecraft tuners are streets ahead of the tuners that come in the
Japanese rigs. By which I mean they can tune over a wider range (typically
up to 10:1 compared to up to 3:1.) On the other hand , if you have a 10:1 or
greater SWR at the rig then you'll be losing a lot of power in the co-ax
unless it is very short. So the wide range is probably more use when using
the radio in the field than at the home QTH.

HTH.

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com