Drew,
I don't think that is correct. Normal CW has a dash that is three times as long as a dot. If you have dashes as short as twice as long as dots, the code sounds very strange. The ratio, i.e., three to one, is purely of the length of the character. Normal spacing between dots and dashes is one dot length, independent of the dot to dash ratio. If the transmitted code sounds OK, and the dashes are truly as long as you say, then the speed control is mis-calibrated. I note that the K3 has a menu entry for what they call CW Weight, defined as the dot to space ratio (although often CW weight is used to mean the dot to dash ratio). Not sure if there is a way on the internal keyer to vary the dot to dash ratio. Most outboard keyers allow you to play with the dot to dash ratio, and some people like to vary it a bit from three to one.

 73, Andy, ae6y.
To: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 7:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 CW speed request

Dahs are actually twice the length of dits, I think. Or technically,
the dah period is twice the dit period (i.e., a dah sound plus its
space is equal to two dit sounds and their spaces).

I measured the dahs instead of dits because I don't have a keyer; just
pluged my mono straight key plug into the paddle jack and it gives
dahs.

I measured the period by averaging over five dah periods with the K3
readout set at 22 wpm and 21 wpm, giving periods of  0.207s and
0.219s, as mentioned. I measured the sidetone at the headphone jack
using audio waveform software.

73,
Drew
AF2Z