"Engineering is *always* about compromises. -- Ron AC7AC"

While I certainly agree in theory, I don't think I'm making many with the
K3.  I picked my roofing filters on the basis of contesting and
non-contesting.

For non-contesting there's very little that strains the DSP.  For general
puttering about with 800-1000 hz CW, the 1.8 roofing is good enough.  DSP
does it. For puttering SSB, the 5 pole 2.7 does it.

For SSB contesting, started with stock in the MP, then 2.1 INRAD's, and
finally 1.8 INRAD's. So it's 1.8 in the K3, been there, done that. I never
use the 1.8 in puttering mode, I use 1.8 exclusively in contests.

For CW contesting, I go on the basis that there is an S9+40 station up 500
hz. I set my roofing filter to the width I want to hear and the DSP to match
(400 for running and 250 for S&P). With a 5 element 40m quad on Europe out
at NY4A, and certain Europeans running "plentiful" power plus yagis, S9+40
up 500 hz is common past experience, not conjecture.  BC carriers are often
off scale.

In the K3 the 400 clearly whacks down the S9+40 up 500 down to a DSP
manageable value. To wit:

At home (not NY4A) I was listening to a 40 over BC signal on 7125 last night
with the K3 on 8 pole 400.  Even turning on the preamp (carrier 60 over
tuned in), tuned up and down 500 hz I could hear right down to S3 ish noise
on speech breaks with fast AGC on. I could also hear their buzzy 120 hz
harmonic residuals (100 db below carrier?) between QRN peaks.  All that with
no ringing.  MP can't get anywhere near that using 2nd and 3rd IF INRAD
400's.

Thas what I need.  I didn't notice any compromises running around anywhere.

Also, FWIW, when I added DSP to my K2's A->B mods it really improved
performance. K2 sounds a bunch more like the K3 than the MP, either way you
read that sentence.

73, Guy

K2, K3 #1239