Thanks to all who responded to my plea for help.  It seems the problem was
the brand new 15 ft DB9 serial cable I had bought just for this purpose so I
didn't need to move the radio close to the computer to upgrade.  I put
together a 6ft 25pin cable with adapters to get to 9 pin male/female and
connected that mess to the radio and was then able to successfully load
firmware to bring the radio back to life.  With the 15ft new cable it would
stall out midway through the loading and freeze up the program.  Thanks
again to all and I will go and buy a new shorter cable.de gary