On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 13:29 -0700, Alan Bloom wrote:
> However, I believe Europe also has SUSCEPTABILITY
> requirements which the FCC does not.  That is a good thing for radio
> amateurs, or anyone who operates a transmitter.

In Europe we do have ingress limits for consumer equipment and indeed
they are set high enough to be useful to protect the transmitting
amateur from many of the issues surrounding badly engineered consumer
devices.

Our CE rules also set emissions limits for consumer devices but unlike
FCC part b the liability for any remaining issues to radio users EVEN
where a device is fully CE compliant remains with the manufacturer or
importer, not with the consumer that owns the device.

CE compliance does not assume compliance with the EMC directive (article
4a is the relevant section for us)

 "the electromagnetic disturbance it generates does not exceed a level
allowing radio and telecommunications equipment and other apparatus to
operate as intended"

no minimum limit is set for this condition to presumed to be met.

This is actually great deal of protection for amateurs since even a
fully CE complaint device that is causing interference to a radio user's
normal operation must be resolved by the manufacturer or importer, not
the hapless consumer that bought the device without knowledge that it
was going to cause an issue for the 'radio ham next door'

the EMC directive is available to read here
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/electr_equipment/emc/directiv/text.htm

73
EI6IZ (EMC representative for the IRTS)

--
Don‘t complain. Nobody will understand. Or care. And certainly don‘t try
to fix the situation yourself. It‘s dangerous. Leave it to a highly