Steve,
On AM, your carrier power should be about 25% of the peak transmitter power.
For a K3, which runs 120W output, this means that the carrier output should
be about 30W. I believe the K3 automatically sets the correct
carrier-to-peak power ratio, so that when you scale back the K3's power
output, the AM carrier is reduced proportionately.

When running a linear amplifer on AM, the same percentage applies. In other
words, for a legal limit linear amplifier whose power output is 1500 Watts,
your carrier power should be 375W.  Then, your modulation peaks will be the
full 1500W.

When tuning your linear amplifier for AM, DO NOT load it with the AM carrier
of 375W.  Instead, always load it in the CW mode at the full 1500W output.
Then when you run it on AM, the amplifier will be tuned properly for 375W of
carrier.

Just to remind you where the 25% AM carrier rule comes from, in a 100%
modulated AM signal, the RF envelope varies from zero to twice the carrier
average voltage. In other words, the modulation peaks will be twice the
voltage of the unmodulated carrier. Since power varies as the square of the
voltage, twice the voltage is four times the power. Thus, your transmitter
and amplifier has to be rated at four times the unmodulated carrier value.

73,

Jim W8ZR