-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Darwin, Keith
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 11:45 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Using both AGC and RF gain?

Ron's comments in another thread got me thinking.  How many of us use
AGC only (RF Gain on full), RF Gain only (AGC off) or a combination?
Does it matter if you're running SSB or CW (or other)?

I run CW and use a combination of AGC and RF Gain.  AGC set to "fast"
with the RF gain turned down to bring the band noise down to a bit above
the rig's noise floor.  S/N ratio is great like this and if a truly big
signal hits me, I have the AGC there to act as a limiter to keep my ears
from taking a hit.

I also love to watch the S-meter move so leaving AGC on keeps the fun
alive.

What do you do?

- Keith N1AS -
- K3 711 -