It is an irritating feature of MS Windows. I think you can fix the RS232 port
with a utility, or for example by limiting the maximum com ports to 1.

I wonder how long receivers are going to use RS232 ports. I know they are
easier to deal with but most new PCs will not have them. I just got an
EEE901. It has 3 USB but no com ports and is ideal for business trips or
portable operations. I am surprised the K3 uses RS232 as Wane/Eric are more
than capable of designing a USB based interface, which could theoretically
do so much more, including passing the audio or even the I/Q. No need for
those TTL/RS232 level converters either. Perhaps it was done for
compatibility with older software. I am fairly sure future radios will be
USB or Ethernet.

 Remote operations would be nice but HRD will not fit!

Mike