Julian,

This was an intermittent problem experienced by a few K3 owners. It was fixed in version 2.22 - see the firmware release notes.

73,
Don W3FPR

Julian, G4ILO wrote:
It has been about 3 weeks since I last switched on my K3 and when I did so
just now, VFO A said "FPF Load" and VFO B said "Pending". It was working OK
when I last switched it off.

I decided that the best thing to do would be to load the latest beta
firmware, which was what I was going to do anyway, but the K3 Utility
reported:

Sending firmware file hfpf0002.hex to FPF
21:40:28 Send FPF firmware failed at load address x7b1f
21:40:28 FPF program load failed
21:40:28 Ready

The receiver appears to be working and I can tune the VFO, although I have
no idea where I am as the VFO display just reads FPF Load / Pending.

While typing this I managed to clear the problem by pressing Band Down until
I got to the lower bands, when I saw that frequencies were appearing again.
When I press Band Up frequencies are now appearing, but when I move up to
21MHz or any higher band VFO B briefly displays ERR PL1 before showing the
frequency.

Having got to this point, I tried to upload the firmware again and this time
it appears to have been successful. So what went wrong? The previous
firmware was, I think, 2.13 beta. All seems OK now but it was a scary moment
that I could have done without.