<<Most hams know that the standard BNC (not the mini version) should handle 200-300 watts and not be pushed higher, altho likely will go
higher for some time.>>

The BNC, either 50 or 75 ohm, is dimensionally almost identical to the 50-ohm style type N connector. As a matter of fact we use BNC males with the locking ring removed as push on connectors to mate with 50 ohm N females. All we have to do is very slightly flare the BNC mating ground shell to increase pressure a bit on the inside of the N.

The weak point is the cable with BNC's, not the connectors. The connectors, like a type N, will handle a few kilowatts into a matched load.

<<The So-239 is often rated at a Kilowatt of RF but clearly takes double that in many many shacks. However, at about 6 KW with a small
SWR, the SO-239 will begin to arc the pin to shield.>>

We high-pot SO-239/PL-259 combos at 5,000 volts peak. A good connector properly installed will easily make that number. 5000*.707 is 3500 VRMS. That's 250kW into 50 ohms, so arcing is never the issue in a properly installed connector. They are current limited which is a heating problem, but will easily handle five times the current of a type N because the pin surface area is much larger.

Whenever we install connectors we high pot them to be sure we have no stray strands or other problems. We flatly reject anything below 3.5 kV, but prefer to have 5kV or more.

<The big one that looks something like a BNC, called an N,
has many advantages including taking higher RF, presenting
a lower SWR bump in the line, greater shielding of the shield line,>>

I disagree Charlie. There is a HN we use in plasma and other high power high SWR applications, but a type N like the BNC is really a weak connector. The N is a glorified weather tight BNC. I'd never consider a type N at more than 1500 watts or especially into a high SWR. They are terrible for lightning and SWR related damage because they have very small center pins and very close internal spacing. The HN is much better if you want a reliable connector that is N style. That's all we use on high power plasma and medical.

The impedance bump in a UHF is limited to an area about 1/2 inch long. The problem is all in the female, the male (like most males) is nearly perfect. You wind up with 1/2 inch of 30-45 ohm line section for every standard properly installed UHF connector pair. The general electrical rule is a moderately sensitive system like a communications system can have about 1 degree of bump at that SWR, so the UHF connector should be good up to lower UHF with problems unless you get too many in the system. This is why Motorola never had a problem with UHF connectors on VHF gear.

As a matter of fact when I install hardline here I actually machine the N female ends and convert them to UHF females with Teflon insulation. We've had N's blow right apart in lighting hits, but the UHF connectors keep on ticking. For UHF weak signal I might consider an N, but they are unreliable at high power or with high SWR or lightning.

At low power where a cable needs to be quickly disconnected a BNC is fine, but I'd never use them here for anything outside of the test bench or a radio that needs a quick disconnect. Ham manufacturers did the right thing by using a UHF connector. It was generally a smart move.

73 Tom