Eric wrote:

> I think the confusion on this issue arose when people started
> trying to use microphones that Kenwood sells on its VHF/UHF radios,
> some of which are of the electret variety and require power/bias
> on a separate pin.

Actually, it is not the VHF/UHF ("encoder") mics that are generally
the issue.  The real problem is with the HF "desk" mics (MC-55,
MC-60A, MC-80, & MC-85) that use pin 5 to power a preamplifier or
bias the electret capsule.  MC-55, 80 and 85 use electret capsules
and require power on "pin 5" or the use of batteries.  The MC-60A
is a dynamic mic that will work with the K2/K3 as long as the
preamplifier is bypassed (preamp switch "off").  The MC-90 - a
dynamic desk mic with no preamp - works without modification.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV