To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 9:08 AM
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 Receive audio in CW

I've had the K3 for 4 months now, but I'm new to the list. So, forgive me if this has been discussed previously here.

Overall, it's been a great rig and I'm encouraged by Elecraft's commitment to firmware upgrades. However, I see few minor annoyances with the K3 receiver and I wonder if others are also bothered by them:

- First of all, in the prescence of summertime QRN the receive audio is a bit harsh. Static and noise in general seems more bothersome with the K3. Lowering the CW pitch, applying IF shift and reducing the width (the 400 Hz hard filter is installed) all seem to help by lowering the noise spectrum, but don't really mitigate the problem. Applying RCV-EQ doesn't seem to help. It almost seems the noise is aliased.

- With the antenna removed and the input grounded or terminated, the background (audio) noise on all bands seems unusually high.

- Also, with the S-meter configured for "absolute" and no antenna, the S-meter shows a 1 to 2 S-unit background level increase when ATT is enabled. I expect this is simply a software calibration issue.

Tom