-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill W4ZV
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:34 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 KRX3 - BNC or KAT3?

N2TK, Tony wrote:

> I think this was addressed before with not having the KAT3. I do have the
> KAT3. Is it recommended to hook up the  BNC connector on the back to the
> KRX3 or to use the second SO-239 on the K3 or does it make any difference?

> Most of the time I will be using the same antenna for both receivers. When
> the K3 has the capability of having the two receivers on two different
> bands
> I would like to monitor another band with a second antenna. An example
> would
> be to monitor 6M. Figured I could use the second SO-239 for this.
>
> I assume that when I am listening to both receivers on the same band that
> if
> I am using the receive antenna input the receive antenna will go to both
> receivers. Is this correct?

It's a little complex and depends on the exact combination of KAT3 and KXV3
options.  First read page 37 of the new manual and then see pages 40-42 for
diagrams of the option configuration you have.  Assuming you have a KXV3 in
addition to your KAT3, the following from page 42 applies:

"K3 with KAT3 and KXV3

Figure 4 shows the antenna possibilities with both the KAT3 and KXV3
installed. The main receiver can use
ANT 1, 2, or RX ANT IN. The sub receiver can either share the main
receiver's RF source, or use its AUX RF
input. The latter can be either the non-transmit KAT3 antenna or the AUX RF
BNC connector, as described
earlier. In either case, the sub receiver's antenna must be isolated from
the transmitting antenna."

If you do not have the KXV3, the following from page 41 applies:

"K3 with KAT3 ATU

The KAT3 internal ATU, which replaces the KANT3 antenna input module,
provides a second SO239 antenna
jack (ANT 2). As shown in Figure 3, relay K3 routes either ANT 1 or ANT 2 to
the main RF path. The antenna
not routed to the main path (the non-transmit antenna) can optionally be
used as the sub receiver's AUX RF
antenna. This requires that the two antennas connected to the KAT3 be well
isolated from each other. If not, the
sub receiver's carrier-operated relay may turn on during transmit. If this
occurs, you must either move the two
antennas farther apart, or not connect the sub receiver to the KAT3.

It may be preferable to connect the sub receiver's auxiliary RF input to the
AUX RF connector on the rear panel.
A well-isolated receiving antenna can then be used with the sub receiver
when required. (See CONFIG:KRX3,
for sub receiver antenna setup.)

I have the KXV3 but no KAT3 so my case is different still!

73,  Bill