Hank,

If you cannot get local help with it, I have successfully used the following technique to remove SMD ICs, and it should work with the diodes.

Push a length of enameled wire (largest gauge that will fit - usually #26 or #28) under the pin, grasp both ends of the wire, then heat the lead and solder pad while pulling on the wire. Once the wire slips through, the lead will no longer be in contact with the pad - do 2 that way and the 3rd one is a snap.

73,
Don W3FPR

hank k8dd wrote:
I need a little help with replacing the two SMD diodes in the VSWR circuit.
K3 support has determined, after 4 days of emails, that they are bad - possibly
from a 'nearby lightning strike' - and it's up to me to replace them with 2 new
more robust diodes or pay for having them replaced if I send them the K3.  I
guess the new robust parts are warranty, but replacing them isn't!

Elecraft is sending me the 2 new more robust diodes.   I do not have the
equipment to remove the old ones and replace them, nor do I have the desire to
work on anything smaller than a 1/8 watt resistor.

So ..... is there anyone within 50 miles or so of Lapeer, MI who can change
these new diodes when I get them?    And if you don't have a K3, this would be
a good chance to see one and try it out!

73    Hank    K8DD