A very interesting read, I have a couple of questions about practical considerations.

The number one rule I look at all antennas with, is that all antennas are a compromise. Let me know if I am getting off on the wrong foot here.

I like ladder line fed to various antennas (Horiz. Loops, Vert. Loops, Doublets and such) but if I have more than one antenna, then I have multiple sets of 450 ohm twin lead coming to the house. As I understand things, I need to keep the ladder line away from metal as much as I can.

I have not found a way to safety ground ladder line and run it into the house. After taking a lightning strike last year, I have no wish to have ladder line and / or balun's inside the house.

*Is there a way to properly ground that ladder line, and then run it into the house? *If there is a practical way, I assume one uses a plastic box or no box at all?

Based on all of these practical considerations, I am left with the following current configuration.

K3/KAT3 -> Balun (4:1) === Ladder Line === Doublet
(In this case a http://www.k1jek.com/ 200' antenna)

The coax is about 50' long (to get to the shack in the house, I would love to get this shorter, working on that) and the 450 ohm ladder line is about 50' long.

Configuration I am working towards;
K3/KAT3 -> RF Switch -> Coax (trying to get this down to about 10') to box mounted on side of house (metal) -> Lightning arrestors tied to good ground rods -> short coax to balun mounted beside house -> 450 ohm ladder line to antenna.

Would like to have a vertical loop and dipole or horizontal loop, fed with ladder line.

The antenna I have now, gets out very well, and tunes pretty well from 160m -> 6m. Some bands like 40m, it does not tune as well, but has performed well. I have heard very little on 6m, but did work Portugal. The 40m issue is supposed to be helped by reducing the length of coax, and lengthening the ladder line. That makes sense, to reduce the resistive losses in the coax. Understanding that this is a low dipole (about 40 - 50 feet) I'm wondering if changes to the configuration would help the antenna's ability to hear. I'm not sure it hears as well as it could.

Options to improve antenna, and possibly receive
*Get current antenna higher. With the trees that I have to use, this could only be about 10'.

*Drop ends of antenna to 10', and raise center higher using a different tree. This has possibilities of getting the center higher than 60'. I am not sure this would help receive, but it is an option.

*Go to a different balun setup 1:1 versus 4:1.

*Not sure of a practical way to get multiple ladder lines safety grounded and into the house. So I do not know how to get away from having a balun.

Are there other practical options I am missing here? Yes, I would like to have a short tower and a multi-band cubical quad. Maybe at some point in the future, but not anytime soon.

David Wilburn
K4DGW

Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
Also, the load has a huge effect on balance. Few wire antennas for HF offer
decently balanced loads. Unless the wires are literally wavelengths (usually
hundreds of feet) from the earth and other objects, those objects will have
a strong effect on the currents on each side of the antenna. The effect is
greatest near the ends of the wires, where they typically come close to
supports, trees, houses, etc. Unless both ends have identical surroundings,
the antenna, and so the currents in the feedline, are unbalanced.
Ron AC7AC