Ron,

Very pretty job!  Do you recall the (approx) capacitance range of the
split-stator and link capacitors?  Also, your pdf file says 3" acrylic
tubing for main coil.  Is it 3" or 2" ?  How many turns on your 10
meter and 160 meter coil and link?  (I assume the pictures show the
80-10 version.)

73,
Oliver W6ODJ

Tnx Oliver. You caught me with a bad memory: the PDF is right, it's 3". The
split-stator capacitor is about 200 pf per section, and the link capacitor
is about 200 pf total. The values are not critical. The voltage on the small
capacitor is low, since it's in a 50-ohm circuit. A receiving capacitor will
work well at most power levels at least into several hundred watts. The
critical cap is the split stator: it needs to be a good transmitting type
with good plate spacing. There can be huge RF voltages across it. I had a
QRP version using a small variable with about 1/32" plate spacing. Under
some conditions it'd arc at 5 or 10 watts of RF.

The 80/10 meter coil has 28 turns total on the main coil with 7 turns for
the link. The 160 meter coil is on a 5" form with 32 turns total on the main
with a 10 turn link. (Actually, it wouldn't hurt to make the 160 meter coil
a bit larger for more matching range.) The turns are spaced 3/16" of an
inch, with notches filed in the tubes where the wires rest to hold them in
place.

I built it for versatility and efficiency, not sleek, modern rig push-button
ergonomics. Indeed, I call it the "Frankentuner" since to me it looks like
something Dr. Frankenstein might have adjusted in his Gothic castle
laboratory as he waited for strokes of lightning to bring his monster to
life.

It looks to me like Steve, W2MY, built his with similar flexibility in mind.

It'll handle a huge range of impedances, and it handles balanced and
unbalanced loads equally well. Since the circuit is balanced, the ends of
the coil are at high potential (and out of phase) while the center of the
coil is at RF "ground". Normally, you'd tap the open wire feeders out
equidistant from the center. To load up a single wire, just connect whatever
you're using for ground - counterpoise, etc. - to the center of the large
coil and tap the antenna out on either side to get a good match. If you want
to reduce the SWR presented by a coaxial line, connect the coax shield to
the center of the large coil and tap the coax center conductor out on either
side as needed for a match.

Many tap points will produce a low SWR at the transmitter. The best taps
points are as far toward the ends of the coil as possible. That will vary
widely with the impedance presented by the feed line, of course. Placing the
taps as far from the center as possible produces the lowest "Q", hence the
lowest circulating currents and the lowest ohmic losses while providing the
greatest bandwidth to minimize the need to "touch up" the tuning when QSYing
around the band.

With the tap and capacitor settings noted on a small card attached to the
front, I can change bands in about 15 seconds.

Actually, I briefly considered a Faraday shield for the link, but opted for
the mechanical simplicity of a few turns separated from the main coil
instead. I've noted no sign of capacitive signal coupling across the
windings.

Ron AC7AC