Tony,

I have the LP-Pan with recommended Creative Labs E-MU
0202 and find this to be optimal, I mean no reason to
make a mod of any type to K3. If someone told you that
this must be done, I'd want to see why with my own
eyes before doing this job.

IMO (in my opinion) you don't "work" with SMD on K3,
they fly around like little fleas even if you use a
pair of 15w irons to remove them. They are just that
small. But you can get them off without any major
damage, find them, and carefully replace them - *when
necessary*. YMMV...

de wb8yqj