After plotting filter response on my 2.7 KHz filter
I have been thinking about the Rx/Tx eq settings.

The current equalization scheme is 7 octave bands at: 50 Hz, 100 Hz, 200 Hz,
400 Hz, 800 Hz, 1600 Hz, and 3200 Hz plus an interloper non-octave band at
2400 Hz. I can guess why these bands, they match a popular external
microphone equalizer product.

My filter is down 20 dB at approximately 100 Hz (from zero beat.) This
number is from graphical construction where I only took data points every
100 Hz and plotted the results.

It would appear that the bottom equalizer band is beyond useful. Even with
maximum equalization gain the 50 Hz spectrum is still way down. This tells
me that we don't really have an 8-band equalizer as only 7 bands have
utility. The 100 Hz band is questionable but barely within the zone.

Perhaps Wayne is going to open the lower end some more and then my issue
could become moot and everybody would have to go buy a woofer. However
whenever I try to equalize waterfall speckling I wish I had more granularity
in the useful part of the audio spectrum.

If we wanted to start at 100 Hz and split the band between 100 Hz and 3200
Hz into 7 equal fractional octave bands then sub octave processing would do
that with band centers of 100, 178, 317, 566, 1008, 1796, 3200; then keeping
with the theme, throw in an interloper band around 2400 or someplace useful
to make an 8-band processor. The octave band centers above are 100 Hz
multiples of the 6th root of 32 (3200/100.) The current scheme is 50 Hz
multiples of the 6th root of (3200/50) which is the magical 2 factor.

Starting at 150 Hz instead of 100 (my favorite) may also make sense leading
to band centers of: 150, 250, 416, 693, 1154, 1921 and 3200 with an extra
one at 2500. Since these are broad anyway, why not call them 150, 250, 400,
700, 1200, 1900, 2500 and 3200 and give people the option of maintaining the
current scheme or shifting to one of these? I kind of like having one of the
filters centered on 700 Hz anyway.

My 2 cents

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)