If you notice, the USB port is fixed there. The whole communications interface area of the K3 can be update, modified, and changed as the rig and firmware grows. Elecraft chose the RS232, as a port that so many folks have used in the past.

If you listen to hams (like on this list) think about how many are resistant to change. If they had come out with USB and no serial there would have been a cry from the masses of DOS/Win95/OS2/WinME/Win98 users that they could not use their serial ports.

Don't get me wrong, I find USB/Serial adapters annoying, but mine has worked great. I get the Belkin ones that Staples sells, and everything has worked fine for me. I would rather have a USB interface, and possibly an Ethernet interface. But I am very happy to know that I have a rig that is getting firmware updates, and the hardware was developed in such a way, that it has the ability to grow and change, as the technology does.

David Wilburn
K4DGW
www.k4dgw.com
www.k4rc.net
Williamsburg Area Amateur Radio Club (K4RC)

My Current LOTW/DXCC/WAS status
www.k4dgw.com/WAS.DXCC.info.html

Matt Patterson wrote:
If your PC has a open PCI slot there are high speed serial cards still
available.  Think I paid $26 for the last one I purchased.

73 Matt
W5LL