http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6673

Elecraft is amazing!

(I almost hate to write this review. I'd like to be the only person in
the world with a K3.)

I like raw performance. I like working weak DX stations on low bands.
I like contests. Because I have guest ops that aren't always
accustomed to the radios I have, the radio has to be easy to use. With
contacts coming three or four a minute for hours on end, with over a
dozen antennas to pick, the radio can't be difficult to use or
distracting.

It also has to be top notch. This is a demanding situation with large
antennas in a very quiet location. The location and large antennas
demand uncompromised receiver and transmitter performance.

Some top-of-the-line radios selling for three times the price of the
K3 only lasted a few days here. Some have had serious design problems
like so-called diversity that does not actually phase lock. Some only
offer a crummy sub-receiver that isn't even worthy of being called
second rate. By "sub" they must mean "sub-standard". Some have
transmitter keying issues or unreasonable transmitter IM on SSB, many
have receiver close-spaced strong signal handling issues. I purchased
one brand new top-of-the-line high-dollar radio, assured by the sales
people it was the best radio ever, and the thing was not as good as my
15 year old FT-1000D in several different ways.

I thought I was destined to spend my life going back to the FT1000 and
heavily modified solid state mixer and IF section diversity R4C's.

Enter the K3.

I measured around -35 to -38 dB SSB transmitter IM3, better than my
other radios. The transmitter is flawlessly clean on CW also.

The raw receiver performance on HF is second to none. It is
significantly better than radios costing three times as much as a
loaded K3.

The K3 is an incredibly easy to use radio, and it is very simple to
upgrade firmware. Just a couple mouse clicks and the new firmware is
located on their website and loaded into the radio.

Elecraft is also super fast in updating and improving firmware, their
response to suggestions is like nothing I have ever experienced.

I didn't like the way a few controls functioned in diversity mode. The
knobs required a little more operator attention than I liked. Unlike
other companies, when I e-mailed Elecraft they listened and agreed.
Within a week a firmware upgrade corrected the difficulties. Now it is
smooth as silk.

Can you imagine any other radio manufacturer in the world responding
like that? It's unheard of today!

I'm going to make a prediction. Within a few years all the successful
serious contesting stations and DX chasers will have K3's. This is the
first time I've bought a radio and not been disappointed. As a matter
of fact, I'm ecstatic about the K3 performance and Elecraft's service.
I've waited almost 20 years for the next major improvement in radios,
and this is it. Not only is the radio great, the service and support
exceeds all reasonable expectations.