An adequate and not too expensive vector analyzer is the VA1 by Autek Research. It reads resistance and reactance (including its sign) directly and also has a function that automatically calculates the Z at your antenna even though you are measuring at the rig end of your transmission line. It is tiny and and battery operated and hence can be used on balanced lines without unbalancing things very much. I have no connection with the company, just a satisfied customer. Use google to find them.

--Oliver Johns
   W6ODJ