There's been some recent discussion of how to properly set up the K3 in SSB modes. I meant to respond sooner but was out of town for several days.

MIC GAIN SETTING: Adjust MIC gain for an ALC meter peak at around 5 to 7 bars during normal speech (rev. D owner's manual, page 28). This applies even to TX TEST mode, meaning you can set it off-air. This indication does not mean that you're "hitting the ALC really hard." When you get to around 5 bars, you'll be "tickling" the DSP's ALC. More on this below.

ALC METERING: The K3's ALC meter is a bar graph, not an analog meter, and we felt that 5 bars would provide the right granularity at the target ALC level. The 5th bar of the ALC scale is heavier than the others, serving as a reminder of the this level.

ALC DESIGN GOAL: The K3 was designed to minimize transmit splatter and other effects that plague some rigs. To achieve this, we apply all ALC *before* the crystal filter, and minimize the application of ALC in general. The levels have been carefully calibrated to that 5-to-7-bar level mentioned above. The result is that the crystal and DSP filters remove the types of artifacts that in many other rigs end up as transmitted wideband noise or clicks. I believe this is why we continue to hear excellent reports from K3 users regarding their on-the-air SSB signals. (We've also heard, from some experts in the subject, that the K3's compression is among the most effective they've ever measured.)

PER-BAND POWER CONTROL: With some vocalizations, speech energy may build up within a narrow crystal filter to produce a slight peaking effect. Because of this, the user must set the K3's power output level such that it peaks at or below the safe level for any external amplifier under all speech conditions. To facilitate this, you can use per-band power control (refer to the PWR SET configuration menu entry). We have many customers using this method. It compensates for per-band gain variation in the external amp or the K3 itself, again reducing the need for ALC. For example, all crystal filters have a small amount of ripple (typ. +/- 0.5 to 1.0 dB) that can result in a slight difference in average power output between LSB and USB with some voice characteristics. But since you typically use only one of the two sidebands on a given ham band, per-band power control can conveniently compensate for small variations.

TX GAIN COMPENSATION FOR VOICE MODES (TXG VCE): If you find that your speech peaks are routinely above the desired level (i.e., higher than CW power output using TUNE), you can adjust the TXG VCE menu parameter downward in 0.5 dB steps. Conversely, if your normal speech characteristics result in lower power output compared to CW TUNE, you can increase TXG VCE above the 0.0 dB level.

I'll be happy to answer any further questions. Our goal is to improve the manual to make the above as clear as possible.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

* * *