Hi,
that is exactly the reason I would use a socket.  this K2 lives  on a boat
and is connected to a 23 foot whip and a seawater grounding system and  when
it's working is astonishing.  problem is from time to time I forget to
disconnect antenna when I'm not using radio and it gets fried by static
discharges
through the antenna system.  casualties are always the 1N5711s  in tthe kat100
and kpa100 AND U2 in the KPA100. I have to assume that even  though I'm
installing a ferrite inductor shunt between the antenna lead and  ground, I
will still
occasionally forget to disconnect anenna and so will get to  replace these
components for the perhaps 5th or 6th time.  pcb's don't  respond well to this
level of remove and replace cycles.

thanks for the  thought,

73  AI4TO

In a message dated 9/24/2008 4:18:07 A.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,