Hallo Graham,

thank you for looking at this with a scope.

Did you try changing the power level while you were in SSB at lowish power, e.g. from 30W to 35W? This (at least it used to) usually caused my K3 to settle in on a power level which tended to be between 3db and 10dB lower than requested. The effect was stronger at lowish power levels, e.g. 30W, than at higher levels, e.g. 90W.

Did you change the power level request while in the RX and/or TX states?

My work around, was to set up the power level in CW (or TUNE) and then not touch the PWR knob while in SSB.

The more recent firmware versions have improved quite a bit, but the effect never really disappeared totally. This being said, I haven't had a chance to test the very newest firmware yet.

vy 73 de toby
--
DD5FZ (ex 4n6fz, dj7mgq, dg5mgq, dd5fz)
K2 #885, K2/100 #3248, K3/100 #67