Julian G4ILO wrote:

So there is really no substitute to turning the radio on and listening.

-----------------------

I agree 100%. I've never put much store in prediction programs. (Too often
the sun is shining outside my window on the days heavy rain is forecast.)

I listen too. And if I'm curious and not hearing much, that's when I use the
NCDXF/IARU beacons I mentioned before on the major DX bands (20 through 10
meters). In a minute or so I can listen for signals from all around the
world and hear for myself how strong they are.

Works FB when I'm too lazy to twist the tuning knob <G>.

But nothing beats tuning around, or the thrill of hearing (or being called
by DX) on an otherwise dead band.

Ron AC7AC