I think the Titanic use C Q D which was not at the time universally recognised. I think it was taught only to Marconi operators at the time. Some use DDD which is quite musical and I would prefer to SOS, were I around to give my opinion. Someone will tell us when SOS was universally accepted, which I think was soon after Titanic.

David
G3UNA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron D'Eau Claire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:45 PM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] "QRRR"

Yes, that is indeed what it means. And, since it was established by the
ARRL, it's no surprise Hams in other countries don't know it.

Since so little CW is used for distress communications these days, it's no
wonder few current American Hams know it. That's what prompted my question.

Originally it was QRR, established by the ARRL in the 1930's to avoid any
confusion with a maritime distress call. (The third R was added sometime in
the post WWII years, probably to make it stand out.) Remember, ships used
the "short waves" too, and there was great concern that some vessel at sea
not go on alert by accident should one tune across a Ham signal asking for
emergency assistance ashore.

It may surprise many Hams today to know that emergency communications was
the raison d'être for Amateur Radio for many decades (before contesting took
over ;-) Traffic handling - mostly on CW of course - was a huge undertaking
involving a great many Hams, at least all over the USA, who kept daily nets
and schedules simply to move traffic. Message handling was training for
emergency service. Awards were given for those handling the most traffic
most efficiently, much like recognition is given to contest winners today.

Indeed, our current "DX windows" at the lower 25 kHz of the bands were
originally set aside for emergency communications. When the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) declared an emergency, they were off limits
to all US Amateurs except stations engaged in actual emergency traffic
handling.

The entire 160 meter band was completely shut down to all but emergency
communications when an emergency was declared by the FCC.

Now we 'shut down' whole bands for a contest by sheer QRM if not by rule ;-)

How times change, but emergencies still happen and there are many Hams for
whom emergency communications is their first interest. They drop everything
to support their fellow Hams following earthquakes, storms, and other
disasters. Like the maritime services today, they generally use voice rather
than Morse, but otherwise not much has changed. Ships use satellite phones
or VHF radios when they are in range and working, just like Hams often turn
to VHF radios and  repeaters when they are in range and working. But the
mainstay, the always dependable workhorse of emergency communications for
both ships at sea and Hams ashore, remains point-to-point communications on
the HF "short waves" by any mode that works.

That need for flexible emergency communications on HF is the primary reason
we Hams have permission to share the commercial SSB frequencies around 60
meters today.

Ron AC7AC (maritime radiotelegraph operator and GMDSS system maintainer and
operator).