Phil wrote:

> Not so, Mike.  There are several MF/HF Public Coast Stations still on
> the air in the US, using CW and RTTY/SITOR (commercial AMTOR) to handle
> public correspondence with ships.  Morse is not banned on the maritime
> channels, just no longer required for distress and safety purposes.

Phil, my outlook on those operations is different, though I accept your
point that they are another venue outside ham radio where Morse operations
take place (rarely).

I'm very familiar with the wonderful efforts of RD and the others at
www.radiomarine.org , including the several times each year that they
do a very limited revival of operations from what's left of a couple of
famous Pacific Coast stations, often in conjunction with some old
Victory or Liberty museum ship whose Morse station has been activated
for the special event.

But it is all essentially a historical reenactment by historical
preservationist groups.  Bona fide profit- and safety-driven commercial
Morse operations in the USA ended on 12 July 1999.  As interesting and laudable
as these reenactments are, they do not represent any remnant of the originals
that continues to serve real commercial and regulatory (SOLAS) requirements.

It is odd but true that the FCC will still license stations and operators for
this service, although Second Class Radiotelegraph licenses have had greatly
reduced Morse exam requirements for about 25 years, since the FCC allowed
crediting the very simple Amateur Extra Morse exam to the commercial ticket.
But the FCC also continued to offer the Aircraft Radiotelegraph Operator exam
and endorsement for decades after the last aircraft radiotelegraph operator
position had been eliminated, so it's anyone's guess how many decades these
other obsolete tickets will be issued.  I let mine expire 15 years ago.

Mike / KK5F