Hello All,

I have read with interest the MARS mod comments and I am a little
non-plussed as I happen to live "outside" of the centre of the universe
(read Australia) and in the land down under we have various frequencies
outside of the "amateur bands" which are used regularly in Australia.

For example, we have the RFDS service, the motor home and caravan
frequencies as well as "Cattle Station frequencies" and the 4WD allocated
frequencies. Although these may be unique to Australia, they are nonetheless
viable and licensed frequencies available to residents in Australia and
having said that, if you are the proud owner of a K3 then you are placed
somewhat at a disadvantage as the K3 is not readily able to TX on these
frequencies without sending a request to Aptos for a firmware upgrade. To
list all of the frequencies is easy enough but when you examine them closely
you would have, I would suspect a programmers nightmare as the
bands/frequencies are all over the place. Just open it up, it is up to the
operator to comply to the law, not the manufacturer.

Sometimes it pays to hang on to a radio like the TS-450/440 and use it day
to day and save the "special" radio for another time.

To date we are still awaiting the DVR FW and hardware, we are still holding
our breath on many "advertised" features that have yet to be released and
yet we still see Aptos responding to special interest groups that wish to
have "features" added that addresses their user requirements while it
appears that the original advertised features and benefits are left to a
later date.

The K3 is a great radio, of that there is no doubt, but for some of us
owners we would like to see more news on WHEN the advertised features are
going to be released. Spring, Summer, Fall etc is fine, but, we have also
been patient for a long time and maybe now is the time to commit adequate
resources to catch up.

This is only an observation and thought on my part and is not a criticism of
any group of users or for that matter the guys at Elecraft, I personally
would like to see a little more information forthcoming from Aptos on timing
for new releases of firmware and what those features will be. Fixes are of
course a priority and need to be released ASAP, Elecraft have an outstanding
record in this regard and should be congratulated for their terrific
efforts.

73's,
Gary
I just got lost in thought............. It was unfamiliar territory