> I had a few spare moments this weekend and took the CW-paddle
> for about 100 RTTY QSO's during the CQWW.
>
> Boy, that was very easy and, most of all, FUN. Only had to
> change my routine from 5nn a4 to 5nn 14  :-)
>
> Using the CW memories made it even more easy. I think it must
> have been a bit strange on the other side of the QSO seeing
> the long pause after the 5nn because the "1" takes a reletive
> long time in CW.
> That's also why a kept going on with the 5nn instead of 599.

Sending '5NN' is not recommended in RTTY because each RTTY character takes
the same amount of time to send.  Sending cut numbers in RTTY looks silly
and somewhat LIDish.  Moreover, sending '5NN' in RTTY takes FOUR characters
because there is a letters-shift character sent between the '5' and the
first 'N'.  Therefore, sending the cut number '5NN' in RTTY actually takes
33% more time!

However, in the specific case of using sending RTTY via the paddle with the
K3, there is some savings in sending '5NN' because of the CW involved.  The
result on the other end still looks silly, so I don't think it is worth the
time savings.  And, in the K3 CW-->RTTY mode, there are huge spaces between
the RTTY letters since few of us can key at 60 wpm.  So, the savings from
keying '5NN' are swamped out by the "Farnsworth RTTY" being generated.  Of
course, if you use the K3 message memory, then there is no savings at all
from loading in '5NN'.

73,
Ed - W0YK