In a message dated 10/8/2008 11:03:32 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Hi all,

Is there any problem using a  VOM instead of a DMM to perform the resistance
checks while building the K3? I  have yet to make it fully into the modern era
and to that end, do not have a  DMM.

Tnx es 73,
Jim  W5QM

Elecraft web page: _http://www.elecraft.com_ (http://www.elecraft.com)

Generally it is not a problem, if you are checking resistors. The area you
can get into trouble is when you have semiconductors connected to the circuit -
 Elecraft Rigs are loaded with them. The problem can come from most VOMs not
being able to limit the current applied to the circuit under test. Even at
low  voltage you could apply a voltage with enough current to bias a transistor
to a  destructive level. Most DMMs use a high impedance amplifier on input to
reduce  current flow to/from the meter. The resistance circuitry can also be
made to  sample E/I data at low enough levels to provide resistance measurement
at much  lower current and voltage. IMO, with many DVM/DMMs on the market at
low cost,  it's probably not worth the risk.

Al WA6VNN