My settings with N1MM:

DTR and RTS both to Always on. RS 232 speed etc is set to  38400 - N - 8
- 1

CW Keying is done by the Winkey, and PTT is done by the Winkey aswell.
The Winkey PTT is connected to the PTT-in of the K3.
CW paddle (the panic solution :-)) is connected to the Winkey.

73
Arie PA3A

Jack it is "sort of simple"... I was playing with N1MM's program only a
few minutes ago... These are the settings I use with my K3, the serial
cable is a proper 9 way RS232 cable courtesy of having a multi-serial
board in my PC.

K3 set for PTT - KEY <OFF - dtr>

N1MM set for:
DTR (pin 4) = CW
RTS (pin 7) = Always Off
Radio/VFO Nr 1

Speed 19200, Parity N, Databits 8, Stop Bits 2.
NootSwitch (pin 6) = None
CW/PTT Port Addr = 3E8

I also use Winkey, but these settings work for me to key the K3 via the
serial port.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80

I just tried to interface N1MM software with my K3 using the Elecraft
USB to RS-232 cable. Problrm is that as the program comes up the PTT
line is asserted. I tried monkeying with the DTR and RTS settings
resulting that the transceiver continued to be in the transmit mode. I
could only release rig by shutting down N1MM software.

Now this must be simple! HELP !
73,
Jack, W3TMZ