-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ron Spencer
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:05 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 and 6 meters

I can say without hesitation that the K3 is sub par on 6 meters compared to
other rigs below its class. I compared directly with an IC746. When we
enjoyed a rare opening on 6 to JA earlier this year I was able to work a JA
with the K3. Barely. And I say barely because the audio was cranked all the
way up and I could just hear them. The next day I ran a line from the RX ant
out to the IC 746 so I could switch between the rigs just by pushing the RX
ANT switch on the K3. With the IC 746 I was able to hear signals that were
not audible on the K3. Clear and simply the K3 was not up to the task.

I did contact Elecraft about this and Wayne replied as he did just today
(10/23) to the reflector with the same explanation. My point to him was no
where is this deficiency on 6 noted in the K3 literature. I agree with those
that already said that $149 for the preamp is steep for performance that
should have been included in the rig. I think the K3 is a FANTASTIC rig for
HF. But am disappointed I needed to spend even more money for equally good
performance on 6. I bought the ARR preamp.....

I'd still buy the K3 and recommend it to others but everyone should be made
aware of its lack of performance on 6.

Ron  N4XD

7:54 AM