wayne burdick wrote:

> I'm reviewing the discussion on this topic and will be working on a
> near-term beta firmware release to improve SSB ALC behavior, etc. I
> might have field-test firmware available with some changes as early as
> tomorrow, and I'd be happy to send it directly to anyone in the mood to
> experiment. Please e-mail me directly if you're interested (n6kr at
> elecraft dot com).
>
> Meanwhile: Please be sure you have done the transmit gain calibration
> at both 5 and 50 W. In SSB mode, adjust the MIC control such that the
> ALC meter scale peaks at 5 to 7 bars on normal speech, and set the PWR
> control such that voice peaks don't go beyond the target level.

What is the advice for setting the level for data modes? At the moment I
have to set the input so that the first bar of "ALC" barely flickers on if I
am to limit the output to what I have set with the power control. Following
the previous advice by Lyle of setting it so that 4 or 5 bars are showing
steady, I get nearly double the requested output on a pure tone. The
calibration is perfect on CW.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham