For those who think commercial CW is dead, check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwz_1KnNqv0

Granted, CW outside the Ham bands isn't common any longer. This was shot
while the SS Lane Victory was in port, prior to setting sail for Catalina
Island off the California Coast, I believe. The "Lane Victory" is not a new
vessel. ("SS" stands for "Steam Ship".)

And the sidetone on the old gear isn't really THAT bad, but I chuckled
thinking about those who are offended by anything but a pure sine wave on
their Ham rigs <G>. Obviously this operator didn't have any trouble with it.
The radio console is an old RCA RadioMarine unit, very typical of ships
equipped from WWII onward until solid state took over.

Also, the operator isn't using phones, something he probably did so you can
hear the CW.

The speeds and procedure is typical of commercial shipboard operations.
Those interested in CW might enjoy noting the speeds involved. Many Hams
would consider that slow. At the end you'll hear the coastal station go back
to it's "CQ Wheel" inviting ships to call. That's automated and faster -
about 20 wpm. But traffic handling speeds are typically much slower as
demonstrated here. Commercial operators know that slower speeds overall
meant faster communications since fewer fills (repeats) are needed.

And lastly, that is a pre-computer state-of-the-art manual message printing
system the operator uses to create hard copy. We called 'em "typewriters".

Ron AC7AC