Um, I just tried it, and, while you could plug it directly to the back of the K3, your RS-232 connector is now blocked. In addition, both the K3 and the breakout box have the threaded standoffs that are meant for the cable holding bolt to go in. You would have to take those off the breakout adapter, and then goober up something to hold it in place. I would use the cable.

   tom k8tb

Dick Dievendorff wrote:
Are you able to plug the break-out-connector directly to the back of the K3,
or do you use an extension cable?

Dick, K6KR