Yet Another K3 Yarn

It was dark snowy night last winter, 2007 and I was staying warm in the shack by the glow of my SB-200 and the propane heater in the corner rag chewing on the NW 10m net. The snow flakes were just piling up on the ham shack and the nondeterminsitic pings and clicks from the propane heater were the only ambient noise above the dull whrr of the amp.

A fellow remarked that he was selling his Pro2 and was going to roll up the proceeds with that and other things to get his K3. I was interested in the Pro2 because I got to play a little with it at his shack a few weeks prior.

Then the twisted idea popped in my head, why don't I get a K3? So after pacing around the shack, I pressed submit on my order. Oh dear God what have I done. Oh well.

Then as I waited and read, I began to wonder, "what Have I done?"

The K3 review came out in QST and it was glowing, of course. I've hardly seen a bum review. It was excruciating to wait, then the devil hopped up on my shoulder and told me lies. He told me that the radio wasn't ready and the firmware was spaghetti and on and on. I pulled the plug on the order probably just before Katie was ready to put the postit note on my box "ship it baby".

I had become hooked on CW and part of the reason for getting the K3 was the built in decoder. I knew I could get Mighty Fine Junk decoder for a lot less than a K3 (hi hi) but it would be built into the rig! It was just the ticket for me to keep up copy as I learned.

Then another addiction got me, amatuer satellites. I built up a modest satellite station in between my regular HF rig equipment and noticed that CW was really essential for working some of the birds, especially that old girl AO-7.

So CW did it. I replaced my order for the K3 and ignored the mailing list until recently. Luckily for me, the delay was shortened and I got my Katie Gram.

Now I'm just a few hours away from giving Katie the green light to ship my K3/100, KAT3, and KFL3-18 filter. I could add one more filter probably, maybe a narrow one for CW? I should, shouldn't I?

Oh this is going to be fun.

-jeff
W7BRS