Barry, I agree with you. In voice modes it would be very helpful to be able to
switch receive and or transmit eq in and out with a button press.
Such a capability would also be a quick fix for my problem of inadvertent
"equalization" in data modes.
Potentially, equalization save/restore is a complicated issue because one may
want to store several different settings, maybe tied to modes.
So I can understand if Elecraft wants to explore related issues before giving
us something that may have to be replaced later.
However, just maybe there is enough justification for in the long run
implementing both a quick off/on pushbutton capability and saving/restoring
multiple settings. If so, the one could be implemented independently from the
other. The simple "on/off" would, as you suggest, be tied to front panel
buttons. The saving and restoring of settings could live under the MAIN menu
where the equalization settings already live. Since it takes time and effort to
determine one's personal settings, I wouldn't mind having my library of eq
settings defined in the Elecraft Utility as one or more settings per mode and
downloaded to the radio. Each setting, regardless of mode, would be given a
name and be usable with any mode. The Main Menu would show the current settings
like now (modifiable from the radio like now), but also show the list of named
settings, that could be made active, affecting only the mode in effect when the
selection is made. After a computer-saved-and-named setting is made current in
the radio/mode, it could again be modified in the radio, and possibly re-saved
in the radio (and uploadable to the computer), but creation of a named setting
(menu selection in the radio) could only be done on the computer. Just ideas...

73,
Erik K7TV