-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Craig D. Smith
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 9:21 AM
To: 'Tom McCulloch'; Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] W1 Watt Meter

Hi Tom ...

One change I made to my W1 that helps a lot from a usability point-of-view
is to replace some of the red LEDs in the SWR indicator with different
colors.  This is because the W1 is small and has even smaller lettering on
the SWR scale.  In my installation, and probably most others, it will be
located 2 to 5 feet away from the operator and the SWR value will be
difficult to read without getting right up close to the W1.

Here's what I did:  I used green LEDs in the 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 positions.
Yellow LEDs in the 1.5 and 1.7 positions.  An amber LED in the 2.0 position
and left the red LEDs in the higher SWR positions.  This way you can tell at
a glance (and at a distance) the relative goodness of your SWR situation.

Suitable replacement LEDs are readily and inexpensively available from
Mouser, etc.  Here are the Mouser PNs:
Green 696-SSL-LX2573PGD x's 3
Yellow 696-SSL-LX2573YD x's 2
Amber 696-SSL-LX2573AD x's 1