Ionospheric reflection seems to be generally N-ray fading, not two-ray fading. Two-ray fading gives you a Rician distribution when looking at the probability density function, and N-ray fading is Rayleigh statistics with a Rayleigh PDF.

I've looked at this recently but not nearly in the detail I would like to, but what I have seen is closer to Rayleigh than Rician fading. The standard references, including both of Kenneth Davies' books on ionospheric propagation say Rayleigh fading as well.

Rician fading is more common in microwave where a direct and reflected path will exist due to abnormal atmospheric conditions or mid-path reflections. (Paths are normally designed not to have a reflected path, but sometimes they occur.)

I've put some data up at http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/signal_statistics.htm but as I say, it needs quite a bit more work and analysis to verify Rayleigh versus Rician fading. Over the years, I've collected a lot of signal data at VHF and UHF, going back to when we drove a chart recorded from the speedometer cable and there's no doubt whatsoever that in the urban environment, fading follows Rayleigh statistics once you are more than a kilometer or so from the transmitter.

Jack K8ZOA

Jim Brown wrote:
The fading on SSB and CW modes can tell you a lot about what the band is doing.

Yes, but not necessarily what you think. Most of the "in and out" fading we hear on HF is the result of multipath. That is, the signal travels over two paths that differ a bit in time, which puts them out of phase. When they out of phase by some odd multiple of 180 degrees, they cancel, and by an even multiple of 180 degrees, they add. The time interval of the fading depends on the time difference of the arrivals and the wavelength of the signal. We're used to hearing this kind of thing on mobile signals, and also when an aircraft reflects a VHF or UHF signal. Those VHF/UHF wavelengths are short, so the fading has a fast characteristic (an interval often less than a second). Down on 160M, it's common for the fading interval to be tens of seconds or a minute. The DEPTH of fading (that is, the weak part of the fade) depends on perfect cancellation of the signal, which happens when the two arrivals are almost precisely equal in strength.
73,

Jim Brown K9YC