Julian, G4ILO wrote:

transceiver. An SDR is basically not a lot different from a direct

...can be not a lot different from...

conversion receiver which QRPers habitually knock up in an hour or two using
parts from their junk box. The computer sound card and software does most of

It can also be a very sophisticated device, just as a pure analogue design can vary between the simple, direct conversion, DSB design to a top of the range multi-conversion design.

The K3 is an SDR at the more sophisticated end. Most professional and semi-professional receivers are SDRs these days. I think it is only really the RSGB that defines SDRs as ones which use a general purpose computer for the A/D conversion and signal processing. From what I've read here, the ARRL are more inline with professional use.

Because it is sharing hardware with the main receiver, a pan adaptor can be towards the low end, but it can't be at the bottom end, because it has requirements that it minimise disturbance to its host. One also gets examples of hardware sharing in purely analogue add-ons, e.g. an FM adaptor is basically a cut down FM receiver.

--
David Woolley
"The Elecraft list is a forum for the discussion of topics related to Elecraft products and more general topics related ham radio"